Tue 6 Nov 2007,
15:27 GMT
By Alaa Shahine
CAIRO, Nov 6
(Reuters) - Egyptian billionaire and telecoms tycoon Naguib
Sawiris plans to launch new television channels to
counter what he describes as increasing social and religious conservatism in
the Arab Muslim country.
Sawiris, a Coptic Christian with a $10 billion fortune according to Forbes
magazine, said he would launch a movie channel early in 2008 followed by an
all-news station. He already owns OTV, a 24-hour entertainment channel.
Speaking at
a dinner for journalists late on Monday, Sawiris said
he was disturbed by the rising number of women wearing the Islamic headscarf.
"I am
not against the headscarf because then I would be against personal
freedoms," he said. "But when I walk in the street now I feel like I
am in
Women in the
Islamic Republic of Iran are obliged by law to cover their hair and wear long,
loose-fitting clothes to disguise their figures.
Some
sociologists attribute this to the influence of
Sawiris, who says he opposes radical Muslims and Christians alike, said his OTV
channel has sought to counter the "high dosage" of religious and
conservative programming on other channels by offering light shows targeting
young people, along with uncensored Arab and foreign movies.
BEYOND THE
LIMITS
"If a
movie is beyond the limits of the customs and traditions it won't be
broadcast," he said. "But if a movie is shown, it will not be
censored."
Most
television channels in
Sawiris's comments are likely to anger Islamists in Egypt, including the Muslim
Brotherhood opposition group, which pushed unsuccessfully last year to oust
Culture Minister Farouk Hosni for saying wearing the
headscarf was "a step backwards".
The Egyptian
billionaire, who owns a stake in
"To
hell with them," he said. "Not a single Christian is waiting for
their permission. God is just. God does not discriminate between people."
Sawiris, chairman of Orascom Telecom <ORTE.CA>
<ORTEq.L>, the fourth largest Arab mobile phone
operator by market value, is not known to have any political ambitions and has
rarely expressed his political opinions in public.
Independent
media have challenged the dominance of state-run Egyptian press and television,
which for decades has dictated what the public could read, watch or listen to. Privately-owned
newspapers have pushed the boundaries in political reporting, attacking
President Hosni Mubarak and
his family. Private television, however, does not enjoy the same liberties.
(Editing by Ralph Boulton)
© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved. | Learn more about Reuters